It is currently 26 thUTCp 2008

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1676 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 112  Next
 WC2010 THREAD 
Site Admin

Post WC2010 THREAD
Capello gets Rooney green light
Stuart Mathieson
4/10/2008

SIR Alex Ferguson will happily hand over the running of Wayne Rooney's injury schedule to England boss Fabio Capello.

The England striker hurt his ankle in Denmark on Tuesday night. He was taken off during United's 3-0 Champions League win against Aalborg and is a doubt for the Reds' match at Blackburn this tea-time.

Capello will name his squad for the away World Cup qualifiers against Kazahkstan and Belarus and Rooney is set to be included.

Ferguson has not always seen eye-to-eye with international bosses and their judgment regarding injury comebacks for United players. However, he has no qualms about leaving the decisions with the Italian.

"Wayne will be all right for next Saturday I'm sure of that," said the United manager.

"The only saving grace about that is England should cope with the games they have even if Wayne wasn't to make next Saturday's game.

"It's Fabio's call on how he progresses over the next few days of course. I have no problems with that.

"If they decide to play him in one game and left him out next Saturday. It's not an issue with me. That rests with Fabio.

"He's got two games and I'm sure England will win both.

"He can cope without Wayne in that situation. I don't think it is the biggest test for England at all. They have got players who are more than capable of filling Wayne's boots in these games." Ferguson is likely to pair Carlos Tevez with Dimitar Berbatov at Ewood Park tonight.

The £30.75m Bulgarian got his United goal account rolling against Aalborg with two goals in Europe on Tuesday night.

But he had to overcome an early howler in front of goal before he broke his duck. How- ever, the miss failed to unhinge Fergie's new import.

"All I said when he missed that was that I hope he gets another one," said Fergie.

"You wouldn't like to think that a player of 27 would be derailed by missing one chance. He seems to have that kind of temperament. He would be not be fazed by it.

"He took his second goal particularly well. It was a real goalscorer's goal. It wasn't easy to keep down on the ball. His body shape was terrific."

26 thUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail YIM
Site Admin

Post Re: World Cup 2010 Qualifiers
Ronaldo returns for Portugal
Fri, 03 Oct 14:29:00 2008

Portugal recalled Cristiano Ronaldo to their squad for this month's World Cup qualifiers against Sweden and Albania.

"It is great to be back," the Manchester United winger said.

"It is always a great pride representing our country and I work hard and well to contribute to the success of the team," said Ronaldo, just back from ankle surgery.

Portugal visit Group One rivals Sweden on October 11 before hosting Albania four days later.

Coach Carlos Queiroz will be without defender Ricardo Carvalho and midfielder Simao Sabrosa through injury.

Queiroz included Chelsea playmaker Deco in the squad although he has not fully recovered from a thigh injury.

26 thUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail YIM
Site Admin

Van der Sar in Dutch return
Fri, 03 Oct 13:59:00 2008

Manchester United goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar is making a brief Dutch comeback for this month's World Cup qualifiers to help out in an injury crisis.

Netherlands coach Bert van Marwijk included Van der Sar, who retired from international football after Euro 2008, in his 22-man squad on Friday for the Group Nine games against Iceland in Rotterdam on October 11 and away to Norway four days later.

Goalkeepers Maarten Stekelenburg of Ajax and Feyenoord's Henk Timmer, who is in the squad, are both nursing injuries.

Van der Sar, capped 128 times, was approached by Van Marwijk and his assistant Frank de Boer for help and decided to make a temporary comeback.

"This week Timmer sustained an injury and later on first choice Stekelenburg's injury proved serious and will keep him sidelined for four to six weeks," Van Marwijk said.

"Together with Frank (de Boer), I called Edwin on Wednesday. He was shocked for a moment but also flattered and answered positively the same day.

"His return to the squad is only for these two matches and with a goalkeeper of his class he will start both matches," added Van Marwijk, whose side beat Macedonia in their opening qualifier in Skopje last month.

Real Madrid's Wesley Sneijder also returns to the squad after being sidelined for two months due to a knee injury he sustained during a pre-season friendly against Arsenal.

Van Marwijk called up Sneijder even though the midfielder has yet to appear for Real this season.

"I spoke about it with Pedrag Mijatovic and Bernd Schuster and they accepted my request," Van Marwijk said, referring to Real's technical director and coach.

"I told them he would join in the training the first week but will not play the first match, while after that week I will decide if he will play against Norway."

26 thUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail YIM

pls no more injury to MU players

26 thUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail YIM
Site Admin

Ronaldo puts Portugal first
Tue 07 Oct, 11:30 AM

Manchester United winger Cristiano Ronaldo insists he will play anywhere for Portugal, as long as he is featuring in the starting line-up.Ronaldo has returned to the Portuguese squad for the first time since Euro 2008 as he recovered from ankle surgery.

He missed Portugal's opening World Cup qualifiers against Malta and Denmark but is ready for the forthcoming clashes with Sweden and Albania.

Former Manchester United number two Carlos Queiroz is now coach of Portugal and it is the first time the two will have worked together at national level.

"To be honest I have really missed being with the international side, and now we have Carlos Queiroz here," he said.

"Carlos is someone I have worked with for many years and I know him well. I am a fan and love the way he works."

After defeat to the Danes, Queiroz's side need maxiumum points from their next two games and that could see Ronaldo played through the middle.

Even though he would rather be out wide, he insists he will play wherever he is told.

"If you have to perform a function, I will do it with all my pride," he said.

"For me it is just a privilege to be in the side."

Ronaldo admits Portugal cannot afford any more slip-ups.

"From here onwards it will be complicated and we cannot lose any more games as we did against Denmark," he said.

"It was a shame that was the result [3-2] in the end as I thought the team played well, but we know it will become increasingly difficult and I just hope we qualify."

26 thUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail YIM
Site Admin

Park back for Koreans

Manchester United's Park Ji-sung has been named in South Korea's final 24-man squad to face UAE on 15 October.

The midfielder missed his country's 1-1 draw with rivals North Korea in September due to a knee injury.

Fulham's Seol Ki-hyeon was omitted out once again and West Brom playmaker Kim Do-heon was not considered due to injury.

Former Tottenham defender Lee Young-pyo, now with Borussia Dortmund, also earned a recall and is expected to lead a fairly inexperienced team with Park.

"I want Park Ji-sung and Lee Young-pyo to lead the team to a win by sacrificing for the team," national coach Huh Jung-moo told the Korea Times.

"Lee has a lot of experience and is adapting to Germany well."

Other European-based players Kim Dong-jin and Oh Bum-seok also made the squad, but Monaco's latest acquisition Park Chu-young was surprisingly left out despite a strong start to his Ligue 1 career.

"Park Chu-young requires a bit more time to get used to his new club and league," Huh explained.

26 thUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail YIM
Site Admin

FLETCHER To Captain Scotland

Darren Fletcher will captain Scotland in Saturday's World Cup qualifier against Norway.

Scotland boss George Burley has named the Manchester United midfielder as his latest skipper in the absence of Barry Ferguson and Stephen McManus.

Fletcher will wear the armband at Hampden on Saturday on his 40th international appearance.

The honour continues a good month for Fletcher. The 24-year-old signed a three-year contract at Old Trafford last week.

Burley said: "Darren has been an outstanding player for Scotland for a number of years.

"At the same time he has established himself as a regular player for one of the biggest clubs in the world.

"Since I took over, his attitude towards playing for his country has been outstanding. He is a player who is always desperate to represent Scotland.

"It is a measure of his talent that at his relatively young age he has achieved so much for his club and will win his 40th cap for his country on Saturday.

"I know he will be very proud to lead the players out at Hampden on Saturday. He will do a great job for Scotland."

Ferguson has yet to play under Burley because of the ankle problem that forced him to have surgery before the start of the season.

Stand-in skipper McManus is suspended after being sent off in last month's 2-1 victory in Iceland following a handball inside the penalty box.

Fletcher has led his country on three previous occasions, all of which resulted in Scotland victories.

He first skippered the side in a 1-0 friendly win at Estonia in May 2004, and did so twice last season.

Fletcher was captain for another 1-0 friendly triumph, against South Africa at Pittodrie, before wearing the armband in the 3-1 Euro 2008 qualifying triumph against Lithuania at Hampden Park.

Burley informed the players of his decision after they met up this morning, minus three of the 25-man squad.

Kenny Miller, Kris Commons and Kevin Thomson all withdrew but there are no other injury doubts so Burley will not call up any replacements.

Miller and Commons have hamstring problems while Rangers midfielder Thomson suffered an ankle injury in Sunday's 1-0 defeat by St Mirren.

Miller pulled out after Rangers decided to give him an injection to aid a recurring hamstring problem.

The 28-year-old suffered the injury in Scotland's 1-0 defeat by Macedonia and was a doubt for the subsequent game in Iceland, during which he came off the bench.

The former Celtic striker missed his club's Co-operative Insurance Cup win at Partick later in September with what manager Walter Smith described as a calf strain.

Miller, who has scored 11 international goals, has started the last two games for Rangers but they decided he needs to have the problem fixed.

Former Scotland boss Smith told the club's website: "He has a problem at the top of his hamstring and he has had that for a few weeks now.

"It needed an injection and it means he has to rest for five or six days before he starts training again and hopefully that will settle the problem.

"From our own point of view it is something that had to be done but unfortunately it means he misses the Scotland game.

"Although he played last Sunday against St Mirren, it is something that has been aggravating him and causing him pain.

"Hopefully the injection will clear that and he will be ready for our game next week against Dundee United."

The withdrawals of Thomson and Commons came as no surprise.

Winger Commons has not played for Derby since September 13 and Thomson was helped off the pitch at Love Street following a challenge by St Mirren midfielder Garry Brady.

"I was really looking forward to being a part of things for the Norway game and I'm gutted to have to withdraw," Thomson told the Daily Record.

"At the moment I'm probably looking at two weeks out but it's hard to tell because there is so much internal bleeding."

26 thUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail YIM

alah, klu dgn Queroz maunye Ronny xstart?? diorgkan bagai bapak ngn anak... huhuhu.. but good to know that Carlos is coping well handling the portugese national team. well wishes only from me to him.

26 thUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail YIM

paling boring tunggu World Cup Qualifiers...
x sebest BPL...

26 thUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail WWW

fabio nak gandingkan semula lampard ngn gerrard... hahaha.. sure linkup balik la team Three Lions tuh.. hahaha.. :D

26 thUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail YIM

konpom x menjadi punya..
aku berani kerat jari punya la...dua2 nak tunjuk hebat..mana bleh guna 2 playmaker...
kalo mjadi...anggap la komen aku ni x wujud k? :P

26 thUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail WWW

patutnya ltak gerrard jd winger la....

26 thUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail

faizul-azlan® wrote:
fabio nak gandingkan semula lampard ngn gerrard... hahaha.. sure linkup balik la team Three Lions tuh.. hahaha.. :D

mase mng ngan croatia hari tu pun pasal gerrard xmain n satu gol yg lepas pun pasal terry..

26 thUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail YIM
Site Admin

vAn dE sChuMee wrote:
patutnya ltak gerrard jd winger la....

there's this one match.. i think Gerrard was playing on the left.. he did quite okay there.. well, if u asked me, Gerrard can play alongside Barry.. Lampard rarely fits the England system if Gerrard is around..

26 thUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail YIM

---------
Rio set to skipper England

Rio Ferdinand could follow Darren Fletcher in leading out his national team this weekend, following an injury in training to England captain John Terry.

If Terry's ruled out, then vice-captain Ferdinand would be the automatic choice to pull on the armband for the Wembley clash with Kazakhstan. As the first home qualifier, this match will be an important step towards World Cup qualification but Rio insists his ambitions are much higher than merely being on the plane to South Africa in 2010.

"With England I have been very disappointed," said Rio at a pre-match press conference.

"It's not just that I have never won anything with England, I have not even been in a position to win something by getting to a major final.

"I regard that is disappointing and the hunger to achieve something is only enhanced by the trophies I have won with Manchester United."

Rio's United team-mates Wes Brown and Wayne Rooney could also start for England on Saturday, while selection for future squads will no doubt be a goal for the currently or recently injured Michael Carrick, Ben Foster, Owen Hargreaves and Gary Neville.

p/s:make it permanent fab! :evil:

26 thUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1676 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 112  Next