It is currently 26 rdUTCp 2008

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 United have £80 million to spend but nobody to buy 
Site Admin

United have £80 million to spend but nobody to buy
Manchester United have £80 million to spend but nobody to buy
by Rory Smith of the Telegraph

Luis Antonio Valencia, a £16 million signing from Wigan Athletic, was always likely to end up at Old Trafford this summer.

Ferguson has been watching the Ecuadorian for more than a year, and his mind was almost certainly made up when Valencia gave John O’Shea a torturous evening during United’s 1-0 win over Steve Bruce’s side at Old Trafford in January.

Had Ronaldo stayed, that may have been it. In the midst of the bitter, and faintly embarrassing, war of words between Ferguson and Rafa Benitez, the Scot admitted he did not feel his side needed a huge amount of strengthening this summer.

Ronaldo’s departure, confirmed in a terse statement on United’s website today, has changed all that. Suddenly the flaws are obvious.

Valencia solves the most apparent, the need for another wide man, the Portuguese’s nominal position. But Ronaldo, obviously, was so much more. Not only was he goals and assists, and free kicks and penalties, he was target man and No 10. More importantly, he was a mask for all of United’s ills.

Ferguson would probably admit that his side, however feted until that 2-0 humiliation at the hands of Barcelona in Rome, was far from perfect. The central midfield, certainly, is weaker than either Chelsea’s or Liverpool’s, thanks to the uncertainty over whether Owen Hargreaves will ever play again.

United’s famous strength in depth weakens a little with every year that passes on to the legs of Paul Scholes, Ryan Giggs and Gary Neville. Park Ji-Sung, Nani and Zoran Tosic are hardly wingers to terrify defenders.

Dimitar Berbatov has not settled well in his first season, often a peripheral figure, rarely employed for the key games.

Carlos Tevez may be an idol for the fans, but Ferguson clearly does not believe he has the quality required to be a regular, effective presence at the highest level.

In goal, Edwin Van der Sar is showing signs of wear and tear, and Ben Foster and Tomasz Kuszczak are yet to prove they can replace him.

Add to that the loss of Ronaldo, the team’s standard-bearer, the man who could win games when all else failed, and Ferguson has much to think about.

First and foremost, he must replace Ronaldo’s goals, and then look to strengthen elsewhere. £80 million might be burning a hole in his pocket, but his need now is more obvious, the salve of Ronaldo absent, the spectre of Madrid looming.

Reports in Spain suggest he has already lost out to Real on Karim Benzema, the Scot’s undoubted first choice.

Should Franck Ribery leave Bayern Munich, it seems it will be for the Bernabeu, and Kaka has already gone. Samuel Eto’o, David Villa and Zlatan Ibrahimovic all seem beyond United’s reach.

Where he will find the goals is unclear, because it certainly won’t be from Valencia, who has managed just seven in three years in the Premier League.

In midfield, too, there are tough decisions to be made. Valencia’s David Silva could provide more balance and class on the left - at a reasonable price - but there is still a hole in the middle, unless Hargreaves recovers from his chronic knee troubles.

Van der Sar is likely to get a stay of execution, purely because Ferguson has greater troubles to ponder.

Of course, these are no doubt problems most other fans would love to have. With no more signings this summer, United would almost certainly finish in the top two next season. Their defence is solid, their squad full of class. But Ferguson has set himself high standards.

At Old Trafford, nothing but the best is good enough, and even £80 million cannot hide the fact they’ve just sold their best to Spain.

26 ndUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail YIM

Post Re: United have £80 million to spend but nobody to buy
d plain truth...it hurts

26 ndUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

king wrote:
d plain truth...it hurts

TRUE!

26 ndUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail YIM

Fasha wrote:
king wrote:
d plain truth...it hurts

TRUE!

k r...since v r not gonna buy any 1 else lets just talk bout somtin else...

26 ndUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

king wrote:
Fasha wrote:
king wrote:
d plain truth...it hurts

TRUE!

hahahaha.. so you honestly believe we'll settled with the one and only Valencia? no further addition?

26 ndUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail YIM

Fasha wrote:
king wrote:
Fasha wrote:
king wrote:
d plain truth...it hurts

TRUE!

hahahaha.. so you honestly believe we'll settled with the one and only Valencia? no further addition?

Ak risau gle midfield nih..... :8
tolong ar cr midfield yg berkaliber cam Lamps, Gerro or Xavi

26 ndUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail YIM WWW

judin wrote:
Fasha wrote:
king wrote:
Fasha wrote:
king wrote:
d plain truth...it hurts

TRUE!

Ak risau gle midfield nih..... :8
tolong ar cr midfield yg berkaliber cam Lamps, Gerro or Xavi

Xle watpe ar..kalu kite nak cari midfield yg berkaliber smada team tu xnak jual or terlalu mhl..nak bli pon dpt yg good players unlike the capability as Lamps/Gerro..d only thing we can do is buy young and potential players.At the same time just hoping Ando,gibson,Possebon to finally fulfill their potential..

26 ndUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail YIM WWW

I find that cheap to be honest. Sure we didn't win the the final, but in just one game, all that's changed. I guess Chelsea and Inter have **** midfields too then. It was all because of Ronaldo and Tevez that we beat those respective teams. That's nonsense.

Ronaldo was hardly providing that many chances in the last 2 seasons, anybody could easily do what he did in terms of providing chances for the others. Sure his goalscoring would be missed, but there are no other winger who score as much as him. We just have to play like the other teams, relying on the strikers to get the goals, which would happen now he's gone and we change our approach. Someone else will take his mantle and be our penalty/freekick taker. Not really a problem that.

Tevez last season was ****. Get a Huntelaar and he would be more of a threat in the box, which is what we need. I'm not worried at all losing him.

With Valencia in, we only need to look for another striker. We still have fantastic depth. Sure last season Nani wasn't terrifying, but he does show in patches how terrifying he can be, unfortunately last season his all round game was **** for most of the time. But before that he was certain to cement LW opposite of Ronaldo.

Scholes and Giggsy will still be at least another season here. What does he suggest? We get another couple of midfielders just because those two might retire next season? It doesn't really work that way when we have 4 other very good midfielders besides them. As for our supposedly weak midfield, any 3 out of Hargreaves, Fletcher, Carrick and Anderson are a match for anyone. You think we get to the CL finals 2 years in a row because we have a weak midfield?

We've set up our team to provide Ronaldo with his goals... if we focus on doing that for the strikers, what would happen? It's like all this while we've been playing like a normal 442 providing the strikers with chances on a plate but they couldn't take it, and Ronaldo took it upon himself to get on the end of things all these while. You really believe that?

Rooney, Berbatov, a new 3rd striker, Welbeck, Macheda are more than capable of getting more if they're given chances. Nani if he's a regular is capable of 10-15 goals. Valencia will easily surpass his amount at Wigan with us. And I expect the CMs would step it up too depending on how we set the team up. They might give more license to bomb forward than previously possible..

I really can't wait for the new season to pan out. We didn't really have much of a wing last season, but with Valencia I expect that to change. The strikers would benefit IMO if we go back to the route of flying wingers.

26 ndUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail

well, wan.. i applaud you enthusiasm.. but it is still easier said than done, huh?
anyways, it's is true that 2 players does not carry one team as big as Man Utd to get 3 league titles in a row and go on to two UCL finals. it's the whole team. it's just that SAF's been building his team for the past 2-3 seasons around Ronaldo. now that he's left, i think SAF will know what to do. he's been in this situation for many times right? he'll know what to do. but don't expect us to bounce right away this time. this may take some time, this rebuilding thingy :)

26 ndUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail YIM
Site Admin

Wan wrote:
I find that cheap to be honest. Sure we didn't win the the final, but in just one game, all that's changed. I guess Chelsea and Inter have **** midfields too then. It was all because of Ronaldo and Tevez that we beat those respective teams. That's nonsense.

Ronaldo was hardly providing that many chances in the last 2 seasons, anybody could easily do what he did in terms of providing chances for the others. Sure his goalscoring would be missed, but there are no other winger who score as much as him. We just have to play like the other teams, relying on the strikers to get the goals, which would happen now he's gone and we change our approach. Someone else will take his mantle and be our penalty/freekick taker. Not really a problem that.

Tevez last season was ****. Get a Huntelaar and he would be more of a threat in the box, which is what we need. I'm not worried at all losing him.

With Valencia in, we only need to look for another striker. We still have fantastic depth. Sure last season Nani wasn't terrifying, but he does show in patches how terrifying he can be, unfortunately last season his all round game was **** for most of the time. But before that he was certain to cement LW opposite of Ronaldo.

Scholes and Giggsy will still be at least another season here. What does he suggest? We get another couple of midfielders just because those two might retire next season? It doesn't really work that way when we have 4 other very good midfielders besides them. As for our supposedly weak midfield, any 3 out of Hargreaves, Fletcher, Carrick and Anderson are a match for anyone. You think we get to the CL finals 2 years in a row because we have a weak midfield?

We've set up our team to provide Ronaldo with his goals... if we focus on doing that for the strikers, what would happen? It's like all this while we've been playing like a normal 442 providing the strikers with chances on a plate but they couldn't take it, and Ronaldo took it upon himself to get on the end of things all these while. You really believe that?

Rooney, Berbatov, a new 3rd striker, Welbeck, Macheda are more than capable of getting more if they're given chances. Nani if he's a regular is capable of 10-15 goals. Valencia will easily surpass his amount at Wigan with us. And I expect the CMs would step it up too depending on how we set the team up. They might give more license to bomb forward than previously possible..

I really can't wait for the new season to pan out. We didn't really have much of a wing last season, but with Valencia I expect that to change. The strikers would benefit IMO if we go back to the route of flying wingers.

yeah i know it hurts when ronny and tevez left..but im with wan here..my comment is all at benzema's thread..

26 ndUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail YIM

shafinabazilah wrote:
well, wan.. i applaud you enthusiasm.. but it is still easier said than done, huh?
anyways, it's is true that 2 players does not carry one team as big as Man Utd to get 3 league titles in a row and go on to two UCL finals. it's the whole team. it's just that SAF's been building his team for the past 2-3 seasons around Ronaldo. now that he's left, i think SAF will know what to do. he's been in this situation for many times right? he'll know what to do. but don't expect us to bounce right away this time. this may take some time, this rebuilding thingy :)
I based it on the belief that the players remaining are pretty good themselves. Sure Ronaldo leaving really weakened the 1st team, but we have 10 other players on the pitch at any one time and countless others played their part in our success.

VDS
Wes-Rio-Vida-Evra
Valencia-Carrick-Fletcher/Anderson-Nani
Berbatov-Rooney

That still look fairly strong to me. The midfield look a bit weak to be fair, but that's just going by reputation, and Nani's ****ty form last season. Get back the Nani-in-his first season, and if Valencia plays as he does in the clips, we'll be terrifying going forward at pace down the wings. From the reports they talk about Valencia being a hard worker, so there's no need to worry about our midfield getting exposed too much. Might just work out giving Nani a chance on the other side. As for the big games, we'll rely on that trusted 433 again, unless SAF really plans on changing his approach/tactics for the big games as well.

06/07 style.. hopefully.

26 ndUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail

there r a lot of potential gud players out there..
but i dun know wats hapening in united camp..

p/s:-mayb SAF wana save $$$..datz all i can tink bout or perhapz SAF r waiting 4 d last stok..last minit sale perhapz..huhu^^

latest..chelsea looking at YOUNG..BENZ is almost on d way 2 real..
man u..? :I letz all CHEER for 'VALENCIA" =D =D

26 ndUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail YIM

Re: United have £80 million to spend but nobody to buy

bt byr utang

26 ndUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail

Ro-G wrote:
Re: United have £80 million to spend but nobody to buy

bt byr utang

='[''

26 ndUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail YIM WWW
Site Admin

---------
wuteva..

26 ndUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail YIM
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next