It is currently 26 thUTCp 2008

Premiership stars up for Ballon d'Or 
Site Admin

Post Premiership stars up for Ballon d'Or
Premiership stars up for Ballon d'Or

Eleven Premier League players have been nominated for the Ballon d'Or including favourite Cristiano Ronaldo of Manchester United.

United have four names on the list after winning the Premier League and Champions League last season: Ronaldo, in-form England striker Wayne Rooney, centre-half Nemanja Vidic and goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar.

Three Chelsea players were chosen ahead of the December 2 ceremony: Frank Lampard, Didier Drogba and Michael Ballack.

There were two men apiece from Arsenal and Liverpool: Cesc Fabregas and Emmanuel Adebayor from the Gunners, Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres from the Reds.

Torres could snatch a top-three spot after scoring the winning goal for Spain - who had seven players chosen - at Euro 2008 and enjoying a spectacular debut season on Merseyside.

The Premier League's contingent is matched by La Liga, also with 11 nominees.

Real Madrid have five faces in the 30 after retaining their Liga title, despite falling to Roma at the first knockout stage in Europe. Barcelona have three players including another potential victor, Argentina star Lionel Messi.

Atletico Madrid, Villarreal and Valencia are also represented.

Last year's winner Kaka is one of only three players to represent Italy's domestic game while there are two from both the German and Russian leagues.

Lyon star striker Karim Benzema is the sole player picked from Ligue 1.

However there are no places for either 2005 winner Ronaldinho or Thierry Henry. It is the first time the Frenchman has not made the shortlist, shortened from 50 this year, since 1999.

"It's normal, I did not play much in the last season," Ronaldinho told TF1 after hearing the news.

Former winners Fabio Cannavaro of Italy and Ukraine's Andriy Shevchenko were also excluded.

The award, formerly known as European Footballer of the Year, is chosen by 96 journalists from all over the world after a poll organised by French magazine France Football.

The list in full:

Premier League (11)

Cristiano Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney, Nemanja Vidic, Edwin van der Sar (all Manchester United)

Frank Lampard, Didier Drogba, Michael Ballack (all Chelsea)

Steven Gerrard, Fernando Torres (both Liverpool)

Cesc Fabregas, Emmanuel Adebayor (both Arsenal)

La Liga (11)

Iker Casillas, Ruud van Nistelrooy, Rafael van der Vaart, Sergio Ramos, Pepe (all Real Madrid)

Lionel Messi, Xavi, Samuel Eto'o (all Barcelona)

Sergio Aguero (Atletico Madrid)

David Villa (Valencia)

Marcos Senna (Villarreal)

Serie A (3)

Kaka (AC Milan)

Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Inter Milan)

Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus)

Bundesliga (2)

Franck Ribery, Luca Toni (both Bayern Munich)

Russian league (2)

Andrei Arshavin (Zenit St Petersburg)

Yuri Zhirkov (CSKA Moscow)

Ligue 1

Karim Benzema (Lyon)

26 thUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail YIM

Post Re: Premiership stars up for Ballon d'Or
then who is ur favourite..
based on performance i would pick ron

26 thUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

fzrn wrote:

Ron is a shoe in for this.. but nuthin is definite.. but i had 3 fav choices..hehehe...

26 thUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail YIM

Fasha wrote:
fzrn wrote:

Ron is a shoe in for this.. but nuthin is definite.. but i had 3 fav choices..hehehe...

who??hehe
4 me the best candidate can snatch from him messi@villa..
but i think strong candidate is ron&messi..

26 thUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

fzrn wrote:
Fasha wrote:
fzrn wrote:

who??hehe

my three picks are Ron/Messi/Villa.. i love Rooney, but he only start performing lately compared to the other 3.. but if Rooney can make it into the top 3, it would be nice..

26 thUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail YIM

Fasha wrote:
fzrn wrote:
Fasha wrote:
fzrn wrote:

who??hehe

my three picks are Ron/Messi/Villa.. i love Rooney, but he only start performing lately compared to the other 3.. but if Rooney can make it into the top 3, it would be nice..

yeh,wazza my favourite too..
but ron is best choice to lifting up Ballon d'Or..

26 thUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

fzrn wrote:
Fasha wrote:
fzrn wrote:
Fasha wrote:
fzrn wrote:

who??hehe

huhu.. I LOVE WAYNE ROONEY.. haha.. out of topic..

26 thUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail YIM

Fasha wrote:
fzrn wrote:
Fasha wrote:
fzrn wrote:
Fasha wrote:
fzrn wrote:

who??hehe

hahaha how bout coleen if u love him too..(joke)

26 thUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

fzrn wrote:
Fasha wrote:
fzrn wrote:
Fasha wrote:
fzrn wrote:
Fasha wrote:
fzrn wrote:

who??hehe

this is footy love.. not more than that.. hahaha...

26 thUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail YIM

Fasha wrote:
fzrn wrote:
Fasha wrote:
fzrn wrote:
Fasha wrote:
fzrn wrote:
Fasha wrote:
fzrn wrote:

who??hehe

this is footy love.. not more than that.. hahaha...

hehehe i know that..
saje je=p

26 thUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail

messi(winner)
ronaldo
fabregas

26 thUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail YIM WWW

ak prefer

arshavin (winner)
ronaldo
villa

26 thUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail YIM
Site Admin

Fergie tips Ron to sweep the board
Mon 20 Oct, 04:45 PM

Sir Alex Ferguson has tipped Cristiano Ronaldo to be crowned World Player of the Year - but revealed he could leave him out against Celtic.After scoring 42 goals last season, Ronaldo has already found his shooting boots this term, rattling home his fourth of a season that did not start until mid-September in Manchester United's comfortable weekend win over West Brom.

Given United were crowned kings of England and Europe last May, Ronaldo is odds-on favourite to land the FIFA world prize and the prestigious Ballon D'Or, for which he headed the list of nominated players released over the weekend.

Ferguson cannot see any justifiable reasons why both honours should not come Ronaldo's way in December.

However, the Red Devils chief feels Ronaldo has not quite recovered from the ankle operation he had in the summer.

And after a conversation with former assistant and current Portugal boss Carlos Queiroz, given the swift turnaround, Ferguson is tempted to let Nani loose on Celtic in their Champions League group clash on Tuesday night instead.

"Cristiano will win both player of the year awards, I am sure of it," said Ferguson.

"If he doesn't, I want to sign the guy who does.

"But Carlos feels Cristiano is still finding it hard to recover from a Saturday game to a Wednesday.

"I need to look at this game and the fact it is on a Tuesday and assess whether to bring in Nani."

Not that Ronaldo will meekly step aside to let Nani in, no matter how close his relationship with his fellow countryman.

Ferguson saw how the 23-year-old responded to Gary Neville's query about his wellbeing at Old Trafford on Saturday and knows he faces a delicate decision.

"I thought Cristiano was starting to show signs of tiring so I asked Gary to see how he was," said Ferguson.

"Ronaldo said he was feeling it a bit and maybe it was time to come off. Five minutes later he told Gary he felt good. Maybe it was the thought he might be coming off.

"But you will find that. The type of human being he is and the type of athlete he is, he always finds something extra."

Ferguson reported Ronaldo is feeling no pain from his troublesome ankle so, long-term, he has no fears for the former Sporting Lisbon star.

However, his endurance and ability to raise his level game after game still needs working on, hence the Scot's dilemma.

"Cristiano is coming on terrific now," said Ferguson.

"He was magnificent on the Saturday against Sweden but when Portugal played Albania last Wednesday he was a bit flat.

"It is simply because of the recovery thing."

As Nani also scored at the weekend, and is far fresher, the option is an attractive one, although Ronaldo's class is a major counterweight.

"Nani only played for 36 minutes for Portugal and 15 for us on Saturday so he is nice and fresh," he said.

"When you get so many games in a row after an operation like that, the adrenalin helps you out once but then it dips.

"But the thing about Ronaldo is that with one flick he can score because he is such a talent in the box."

While Ferguson's dilemma will probably not be resolved until an hour before kick-off, he does not intend to spend any time worrying about Ronaldo's subdued reaction to the 95th goal of his United career.

His response has been viewed in some quarters as an indicator Ronaldo wished his dream move to Real Madrid had gone through this summer.

Ferguson, who persuaded him to stay, is not getting involved.

"I read that stuff," he said. "I am not even going to answer it."

26 thUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail YIM

i'm all for ronaldo. torres (UCL semifinal & euro champ) to come 2nd and leo messi 3rd (coz i like him, too)..

26 stUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail YIM
Site Admin

---------
Ronaldo: I deserve Ballon' d'Or
Fri, 24 Oct 10:29:00 2008

Cristiano Ronaldo has backed himself to win the 2008 Ballon d'Or and FIFA World Player of the Year awards after inspiring Manchester United to the Champions League and Premier League double last season.

"Sincerely, yes I'm confident," the Portugal winger and favourite to win the honour told Gazzetta dello Sport.

"If you assess what I did over the course of the season, I think I did more than everyone. What else should I have done to win the Ballon d'Or and the FIFA award?"

The 23-year-old, who scored 42 goals for United in their double season, described his "torture" at having to play through an ankle injury before having surgery after Euro 2008.

"At times it was like having a knife in my ankle," said the holder of Europe's Golden Boot award. "I gritted my teeth. I don't regret it. It was worth it. It was torture, also psychologically."

Ronaldo is on a 30-man shortlist for the 2008 Ballon d'Or, formerly known as the European Footballer of the Year award, and faces competition from the likes of Liverpool striker Fernando Torres and United team mate Wayne Rooney.

The prize will be awarded on December 2 by 96 journalists from all over the world following a poll organised by France Football magazine.

26 thUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail YIM