It is currently 26 thUTCp 2008

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Pre-Match Discussion : UCL : UNITED v Arsenal 
Site Admin

Post Re: Pre-Match Discussion : UCL : UNITED v Arsenal
Manchester United v Arsenal: Ray Parlour relives classic encounters

Roy Keane responded emphatically when asked recently for one lingering wish in football. "Manchester United against Arsenal – if you could go back for one game, then that would be the game," he said.

"Those games were brilliant, absolutely fantastic, the best. You would give anything to play in one of those games again."

With another great showdown appraoching in the Champions League, it is a sentiment shared by some of the old warriors from the Arsenal team of that same era, notably Ray Parlour.

"Without doubt," says Parlour, "and I really enjoyed my battles with Roy Keane – he was a very fair player, a very honest player. If you kicked him, he got straight back up, and if he kicked you, you got straight back up.

"We respected each other. It was fantastic, it was a great atmosphere, the fans knew it would be a fiery affair. For us that was always the crunch game, you talk about Arsenal and Tottenham and that was a massive game, but Manchester United was always the one for the league title or the FA Cup.

"They were the team you wanted to beat. We took defeat very badly and we made sure it didn't happen a lot. You didn't go out there thinking, 'we are going to try to win', we went out there thinking, 'we are going to win somehow'. For me, that's how you have to be as a footballer. You have to be ruthless. They were doing the same."

So which of those matches lingers longest in the memory? Given his distaste for any defeat, it is perhaps not surprising that Parlour should instantly opt for the famous FA Cup semi-final of 1999. "It doesn't feel like 10 years ago," he says. "It was an amazing game and fantastic to watch. To have a penalty to win the game in the last kick of normal time, it was quite emotional, a roller-coaster and then Ryan Giggs scored that wonder goal.

"There have always been really good games, close either way really, going back to 1997-98 was one of the most memorable for me when we beat them 3-2 at Highbury. We won the league for the first time in a while, we won the double that year, it was an amazing season. There was also obviously then Sylvain Wiltord scoring to win the double in 2002, they are great memories."

There were also some rather infamous occasions. The so-called 'battle of the buffet' in 2004 and, of course, the Premier League match in 2003 that saw Parlour fined £10,000 and banned for one game following his reaction to Ruud van Nistelrooy's missed last-minute penalty.

"They were very emotional games sometimes, very competitive, you are playing against players who are desperate to win," says Parlour. "It wasn't good sportsmanship from me, the emotion got to us and it wasn't right what we did. It was the last minute, we expected to get beat 1-0 so it shows what relief can do for you."

Parlour, though, remains adamant that Van Nistelrooy had provoked Arsenal. "I don't care, he dived, he got Patrick Vieira sent off," he said.

Yet behind the headlines, the tackles, the sendings off and the trophies, Parlour also describes a mutual admiration between the players and two managers. "After the game we would speak to each other, we respected each other," he says. "We wanted to be the best, so did Man United. You get fiery games, people wanting to get stuck in, I'm sure you will get it in the Champions League this week.

"The managers are a bit older now, I think Sir Alex Ferguson respects Arsene Wenger and I think Arsene Wenger respects Sir Alex Ferguson for what they have achieved – they are both fantastic managers, they have the mentality that they want to win."

Predictably, though, Parlour is tipping Arsenal to progress to the Champions League final in Rome next month. " I have got a sneaky feeling Arsenal can get through this game, it's going to be difficult, Manchester United are a very good side but Arsenal are playing with a lot of confidence," he says.

"The 4-4 draw against Liverpool was unbelievable, they showed great character after going down 2-1. They have had a great run – they are a very good team, on their day they can beat everybody. If they play football like they can, no one can stand in their way. To win the Champions League is the ultimate and they have still got a reasonable chance. If they can win that, it would be a brilliant season."

Luqman.. see.. just when i mentioned his name.. PARLOUR POPPED UP out of nowhere.. huhu..

26 thUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail YIM
Site Admin

Walcott's pace leaves United wary
Ferguson vows to attack despite concern that Evra's poor form could be exposed

By Ian Herbert

Sir Alex Ferguson's ghosted programme notes sometimes run away from him. Tonight's for the game against Arsenal state that "faint heart never won a fair lady" and yet he was puzzled by the expression when asked yesterday if it encapsulates his strategy for the Champions League semi-final. "What kind of a question's that?" he growled.

An appropriate one. On another of those mighty Old Trafford nights Ferguson will indeed go boldly in search of that second-half elixir which took his players to such an extraordinary victory over Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday and he is weighing up whether to deploy all four of the imperious strike force which delivered it – Wayne Rooney, Dimitar Berbatov, Cristiano Ronaldo and Carlos Tevez – from the start. On no occasion this season has that happened, and the chances are that Tevez will start on the bench. Yet Ferguson has a deep appreciation of the powers of expression which his own side and Arsène Wenger's possess and they have been at the forefront of his thoughts since United progressed past Porto in the quarter-final. "Listen," Ferguson said. "Football is about risk. You can see how we've risked over the years. It's part of it, it's part of Manchester United. You've got to risk to win games – not a problem for me that. I've seen us many times in the last 15 minutes of matches having centre-halves playing centre-forward and going gung ho."

That last image offers a hint that he expects the main drama of this tie to be reserved for the Emirates next Tuesday. But tonight is potentially another game of huge significance; one which, incredibly, is the first in Europe between two of the continent's great powers but which has the potential to match Arsenal's 2-1 win at the Emirates last November. Back then it was Samir Nasri who destroyed United, though the player who Ferguson may be fearing more than he lets on this time is Theo Walcott, up against Patrice Evra.

Tottenham's Aaron Lennon ran Evra ragged on Saturday so expect the right flank to be one of Wenger's lines of attack. "We have to do our homework in that respect because the boy Walcott is very quick," Ferguson admitted. "He's probably the quickest forward in England at the moment and we just have to prepare the right way." The United manager's explanation of Saturday's first-half was hardly convincing. "I think the first goal was a bit fortuitous. [Rio] Ferdinand lost the ball in the sun," he said, but even without the cup-tied Andrei Arshavin, Wenger has grounds to feel an away goal can be his, with Cesc Fabregas' own return to competitive action and form also on Ferguson's mind.

He related yesterday how he watched Fabregas in a youth tournament before Arsenal signed him and might have bid for Emmanuel Adebayor had not his old adversary got in first. "I think Arsène was under the carpet before me." Ferguson beat Wenger to Rafael da Silva and as the list of mutual interests unravels you appreciate the similar football brains at work behind those contrasting exteriors. Youth has become a shared theme, too, with Ferguson blooding eight academy players this season, including Rafael, while Wenger has taken a squad with an average age of 23 to the semi-finals.

No wonder both managers expounded on their rapprochement yesterday. "Pizza-gate" was five years ago but it seemed a lifetime away as Ferguson was asked about last autumn's rumours that the Frenchman may be on the way out. It was, he said, yet another experience they had shared. "That's the cynical world we're in now. Don't forget you had me at the door three years ago. Bloody hell! You had in me in a bath chair down on Torquay beach."

But of course the old Govan blood will be up at 7.45pm tonight as Ferguson – with 13 wins to Wenger's 14 in their encounters since the Frenchman arrived in north London in 1996 – continues his quest to become the first manager to win successive Champions League. He was only told a few weeks back that no club had achieved that feat. "It would be great if we could be the one to do that," he said. "I made the point some weeks ago that we're good at winning things for the first time. That's a good omen for us." And another reason to be bold.

26 thUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail YIM

Fasha wrote:
Karan13 wrote:
ehem2..miss pasha..

mcm bese la yer pagi nanti (:D)

baiklah Karan..

ape nie karan? :I

26 thUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail YIM WWW

Fasha wrote:
shafinabazilah wrote:
faizul-azlan® wrote:
if i am the gaffer.. the 1st name to be in my line up.. will surely be Darren Fletcher.. coz he tend to do well against Arsenal.. he must be in the 1st 11 tomorrow.. huhu..

yea.. he is a big game player. but we need to press them as soon as they get the ball. fletch is kinda slow compared to ando.

another reason why i preferred Ando for this match..

yea, i think you've made your point clear already. haha.. so, lets pray SAF put on Ando, k ;)

26 thUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail YIM

owenhargreaves wrote:
Fasha wrote:
Karan13 wrote:
ehem2..miss pasha..

baiklah Karan..

hahaha..ada laa... =D
tq pasha~

26 thUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail YIM WWW
Site Admin

Karan13 wrote:
owenhargreaves wrote:
Fasha wrote:
Karan13 wrote:
ehem2..miss pasha..

baiklah Karan..

hahaha..ada laa... =D
tq pasha~

No problem..

26 thUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail YIM

hahaha.. apit pening2 lalat :P

26 thUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail YIM

shafinabazilah wrote:
hahaha.. apit pening2 lalat :P

Die missed post/thread seblom seblom ni..tu yg xphm tu,haha..

26 thUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail YIM WWW

hope mlm ni game fight gler..
n m.u mng...

26 thUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail YIM

iedd wrote:
hope mlm ni game fight gler..
n m.u mng...

BELIEVE my friend, BELIEVE..This is my last post for today. Going back home from the office(do not hv tenet connection at home)..i'm buzzing rite now. With excitement and nervousness(its the UCL semi and Arsenal, what do u expect)..Hope for Rooney to start on the left so that he can stop walcott..And hope Utd win with no goals conceded..to quote a song from Slumdog Millionaire..JAI HO!!

GLORY GLORY MAN UTD !!!!

26 thUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail YIM WWW
Site Admin

Fasha wrote:
Manchester United v Arsenal: Ray Parlour relives classic encounters

Luqman.. see.. just when i mentioned his name.. PARLOUR POPPED UP out of nowhere.. huhu..

cis :frown:

26 thUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail YIM
Site Admin

Fasha wrote:
Karan13 wrote:
owenhargreaves wrote:
Fasha wrote:
Karan13 wrote:
ehem2..miss pasha..

baiklah Karan..

hahaha..ada laa... =D
tq pasha~

No problem..

wah wah wah ;O

26 thUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail YIM
Site Admin

---------

COME ON UNITED!

26 thUTCp 2008
Profile E-mail YIM
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5